Thursday 2 February 2012

Sweet Potato Vegetarian Chili

In leu of a recent post-church lunch, I was asked to bring in chili and/or desserts, and had a real fun time making both. You know, I couldn't just make a regular old chili. But I was so excited to use my crock pot again because earlier this week I made the most amazing rosemary chicken with sweet potatoes and carrots in it... my sister and I have been oohing and ahhing over the splendor of slow cookers so much recently, that I'm really starting to feel more like an adult. But I mean it, slow cookers rock.

Throw All of This Into The Slow Cooker!!


  • 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
  • 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon ground cumin
  • 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1” pieces
  • 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 15 ounce can kidney beans
  • 15 ounce can black beans
  • then add even more spices to suit you: I put in a combo of cinnamon, curry, and cayenne

And turn on the slow cooker to simmer over night for 10 hours on low, and VOILA wake up to the smell of warm fantastical chili. Top it with cheddar cheese, sour cream, and a big hunk o' cornbread.

For what it's worth, I also made some bacon-chocolate chip cookies for the lunch, but they weren't bacony enough so I'm not posting the recipe yet until I try it again and actually make a good batch ;)





enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment