Wednesday 24 October 2012

Almond Cakelettes with Figgy Filling

So, it's been a while. The main reason I haven't recorded my creations is because I've been enjoying summer and traveling too much to create creative foods.

Anyways, it's officially autumn and I really love autumn. So here's a baked good to start off my new season!

 I really love figs. I think that they are the most beautiful colors. To me, they taste exactly as they look. Sweet, soft, honey-like. 




Ingredients (for Almond Cakelette)
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter
  • 1/4 cup shortening
  • 4 large eggs
  • 2 cups  sugar
  • 2 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
  • 3/4 cup almond meal/flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 cup warm milk
  • Handful of almonds  


Combine

1) Preheat oven to 325. Line 24 cupcake molds with paper liners.
2) In a large bowl, cream together butter and shortening. Add in eggs, 1 at a time, until mixed completely. Add sugar, mixing on a low speed.
3) Whilst alternating with warm milk, add in the dry ingredients, one at a time.... Pastry flour, almond flour, baking powder, and salt. Fold in the sliced almonds.
4) Fill the liners about 2/3 full with cake batter. Bake for 16-20 minutes. Let them cool :)

Ingredients (for the Figgy Filling)
  • 5-10 ripened black figs
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 3 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Dashes of cinnamon, ground ginger, nutmeg... whatever you want. 
 Combine

1) Basically, just blend it all together! 
2) Cut out a small circle in the middle of the cakelette, fill the middle with some figgy filling, and place the center-top back on. If this is too confusing, click here for a better description.


Because I was too lazy to make a frosting, I just swirled some more of the figgy filling on top of the cakelettes and added a few sliced almonds atop.

Hope you enjoy them as much as I did :)

No comments:

Post a Comment