Friday 27 April 2012

Banana-Cranberry MiniScones with Orange Glaze

Now I've got to be honest here... I didn't actually intend to make scones. I intended to make cookies. But in doing so, I accidentally started making scones. By that, I mean that my cookies were too fluffy and too dry, but were the perfect consistency of scone (at least to my liking). So since I actually thought them to be superb, I thought I'd share the recipe with you. Oh, and since they were originally cookies, mine had chocolate chips in them, but I would have left them out had I known I was making scones. Just saying.

(makes about 45 mini scones.... the shape of um, cookies)
Fixins
3 bananas
1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
1cup light brown sugar, packed

2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups old fashioned oats
2 tablespoons orange juice
zest of half a lemon
dried cranberries
sliced almonds

For the Glaze
1/4 c. fresh-squeezed OJ
2 c. powdered sugar
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter

Put It All Togetha

Well, see, I was pinched for time, so I threw it all together at once (starting with dry, then adding each wet part, stirring as I went. And that seemed to work pretty good. Add the cranberries and almonds last, according to how much you like those things, or add whatever else sounds swell to you. Set the oven at 350, and bake for about 7-10 minutes, keeping a close eye, taking them out when they look like they're barely golden. Definitely take them out if they're black on the bottom.

While the scones are cooling, combine the OJ, powdered sugar (add slowly), and butter in a saucepan over the stove, stirring until the mixture gets thick and smooth. Take that away from the stove and allow it to cool.

Poor over top the top of the scones, then sprinkle some raw sugar upon them. Wait for the glaze to dry then eat up!

















enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment